Professor, Judge, Pastor
I have tried to demonstrate a number of places on this site that there are numerous connections between Shadyside Presbyterian Church and the Allegheny County Courthouse (here and here). This would not be too surprising, as the Church was designed by Shepley, Rutan & Coolidge. They were the successors to the Courthouse architect, Henry Hobson Richardson, and completed work there after his death.
Allegheny County Courthouse, Judges' Chambers Tower seen directly below main tower, on right.
late April 2008, the
Richardson's Plan for Courthouse & Detail Showing Judge's Chamber (red) & Courtroom (blue) (1)
Toker’s presentation examined
Richardson's Plan for Sever Hall & Detail Showing Professor's Office (red) & Lecture Room (blue) (2)
showed how, in that respect,
Sever Hall, Harvard, Facade and Detail of Tower Enclosing Professors' Offices
(Photos Courtesy of Bob Marville, See his photography here.)
Justin Ide/Harvard News Office, Copyright 2006 President and Fellows of Harvard College (3)
of this shape for the person in charge are familiar to those who have
Plan of Shadyside Church as built in 1890, showing Pastor's Study (red) & sanctuary (blue), Exterior of study.
Today, our pastors and other worship leaders process down the central aisle as worship begins. This signifies that they are fellow worshipers, arriving from among the congregation – rather than materializing mysteriously from parts unknown. The present order of worship, in a more ancient Reformed tradition, includes various forms of congregational response to the proclaimed Word of the sermon.
Basic form of 1890 building, showing Pastor's Study at far left.
It is interesting that our present
sanctuary - with its divided
chancel and balanced arrangement of pulpit, lectern, table and font - suits the present worship order. The
sanctuary was remodeled to its existing design in 1938, even though
worship was sermon-centered until two decades ago.
Shadyside Church 1890 Nave & Preaching Platform. Door to left leads to Pastor's Study
(1) Published in Van Trump, James D, Majesty of the Law, Pittsburgh, PA: Pittsburgh History & Landmarks Foundation, 1998
(2) Published in Ochsner, Jeffrey Karl, H. H. Richardson Complete Architectural Works, Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1982
(3) COPYRIGHT NOTICE All rights to images are reserved, President and Fellows of Harvard College. Images may not be reproduced, stored, altered, copied or used in any manner other than as described in this e-mail and your order form without the prior written permission of The Harvard University Office of News & Public Affairs.