We have traced lanterns of
Romanesque churches, beginning with the Old Salamanca Cathedral, to
, to Shadyside Presbyterian. We
found numerous lantern churches
after the Shadyside precedent. We
even surveyed several of the many lantern churches
nationwide. However, we
can also find lantern towers used on various kinds of non-ecclesiastical
buildings. Here, we look at
three, of which two have a connection to
Kansas City Market House (1)
, during the 1890s, an unknown architect designed a market house with a
central lantern. In fact, if
the commercial wing (a really long transept!) in the photograph were
absent, one might readily read the structure as a church.
The typical function of a lantern, bringing light into a central
space, would have served this market well.
This building was torn down.
P&LE Railroad Station,
Shepley, Rutan &
Coolidge is best known in
as the architects of
. They also designed Masonic
Hall, downtown, now gone. There
is little awareness that they designed a railroad station that still
in Coraopolis, the firm built the station for the Pittsburgh & Lake
Erie Railroad. A somewhat
miniaturized lantern is the dominant architectural feature.
Like similar towers for railways, this probably served as an
observation post along the tracks for the stationmaster.
Although it is on the National Register of Historic Places, its
condition is precarious. After
its life as a station, it served as warehouse space for a store.
An effort is underway to save the structure, with possible adaptive
re-use. See http://www.saveourstation.org/
which contains some confusing dates and a misattribution to H. H.
Similar Lanterns at
Shadyside Church & Shakespeare School
A second connection to
can be inferred merely by observing the
ís lantern design. Its tower
duplicates the churchís except in size and details of the dormers.
The function of the lantern here is not clear.
Shakespeare was built in 1892, two years after the completion of
the church, at the very far eastern end of Shadyside.
After it ceased operating as a school, it was sold in 1956.
Later it was demolished to make way for a grocery store.
The photo of children and teachers reminds us that many memories
are tied to buildings.
School Students & Teachers (3)
Paul Lawson, The Spirit of H. H. Richardson on the Midland Prairies,
Iowa State University Press, 1988
From W. C. Kidney, Pittsburgh
Architectural Landmarks, Pittsburgh
History & Landmarks Foundation, 1997
Photo courtesy of the estate of Elizabeth Hoeftman, used by permission of
her niece Beverly.